For years, I’ve been emotionally imbalanced. Being swept along by my emotions, back and forth between bottling everything inside and watching it all explode in the ugliest ways.
Being unaware of my emotional depth and incapable of Navigating my sea of emotions has caused me to feel sad and disconnected from people and hurt the ones closest to me.
For years, I couldn’t express what I didn’t understand. I thought I must be dramatic, overly sensitive, or even psychotic. I used to criticize myself and feel ashamed whenever I felt I was being too Emotional. I didn’t understand how much I was only hurting myself by trying to bury my emotions.
Now, I know that the word for people like me. There’s even a whole science behind it. Being this way isn’t easy, but it’s my responsibility to figure
When you are an Empath,
1. You feel strongly and deeply. You form strong energetic connections to fellow empaths without even trying to.
2. Your energy is affected by your environment, other people, even the weather…I used to wonder why I felt so sad on cloudy, rainy days and why I lose my motivation towards the end of the day. It is because I draw my energy from the sun.
3. Negative energy is toxic and draining to be around. You have to be selective about the people and conversations you surround yourself with or you will find yourself absorbing negative energy without realizing.
*It takes constant effort and practice to learn how to Protect Your Energy during your daily life!
4. Music is a form of energy. It speaks to me in a way I cannot understand. I find myself crying to certain songs I hear on the radio, but the music I love lifts me up so High that it turns any sadness into joy.
5. You carry an abundance of emotional energy with you at all times. As much as I try, I cannot help but to experience multiple emotions at one time. I can’t turn it off I can only learn to listen and understand what my soul is trying to tell me.
6. Certain things just don’t mix with your energy. For me, Drinking and smoking are the main things to avoid if I’m imbalanced because
1. It taints my energy and aura.
2. It amplifies all of my emotional struggles.
7. You need physical/Creative outlets. You need to do things that allow you to Feel!!
Movement is an outlet to process and channel your emotional energy. Creating, dance, yoga, and nature walks are not just what I love, they are what I need. If I ever take a break from it, I’m back to being empty and depressed.
8. People prone to depression and anxiety are typically empathic and feel things easily and deeply (Kamm 127).
The more I understand, the more I can control my emotions. I’m learning to shape my life around my emotional needs.
It is ok to do what makes you happy.
It is ok to stop doing things that hurt you or negatively affect your energy.
Whenever you feel overwhelmed or confused, come back to this guide.